We are a San Diego, California based web design company that focuses on website development, website design, logo design, print media design and search engine optimization (SEO). Most importantly, we care. We focus on your satisfaction and will deliver a quality product within your budget and time frame!
Simply no. However, I did find a little round about way of doing it.
Here is the situation. You are like me and have 2 macs (one that you leave at home and one you bring to travel). Well I just got the new iMac and its so compact I didn’t want to (or had the ability to) plug it in to an ethernet cable. I want to be able to bring my laptop while traveling but still have access to my home computer should I need to read a certain document, file, etc. The problem is that since my iMac is not plugged in via ethernet, I cannot wake it by sending a packet. However, follow the steps below to make it work:
1) set up VPN on your home computer. Click on System Preferences ->sharing.
2) click on remote management and enable. Allow access for the users you wish ( I chose all)
3) click settings and click the settings you want. The most important is control screen with password as this will allow you to actually use it, not just see it.
4) if you are behind a firewall / router, you need to forward the port 5900 to the computer on the network (i.e. 192.168.1.2).
5) you are done setting up the home computer for remote access.
6) on your remote computer in your finder click “go–>connect to server”.
7) type in your actual home ip “if you don’t know it.. search google “what is my ip” and one of those websites will tell you.
8) type vnc://(your-actual-ip-goes-here)
9)log in using your user name u set up on your home computer and viola!
10) now if you are going away for a week and want to use it and wake your home computer on a wireless network, you must do this round about wake up. go into system preferences on your home computer then click energy saver
11) say you are going away for a week. click WAKE FOR NETWORK ACCESSS. then go to schedule. the day you leave, just set your computer to wake up every day at like 8am and go to sleep at like 12pm. This will allow a window for wherever you are to remotely access your computer on a wireless network.